Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Victor Hugo

"He did not attempt to give his robe to the folds of Elijah's mantle; he cast no ray of the future on the dark scroll of events; he did not seek to condense the glimmer of things into flame; he was nothing of the prophet and nothing of the magician. His humble soul loved, and that was enough."
- Victor Hugo in Les Miserables describing Monseigneur Bienvenu

The art in this book is something to behold. It is absolutely one of the most beautifully written and profound works of art I have ever come across. Hugo was a Romantic and they get a bad rap from folks in my circles but this is just what I need right now. "What enlightened this man was the heart. His wisdom was formed from the light emanating from there." This is like water to a parched soul. - DOB

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Browder,
Your blog is absolutely cooking these days. I consult it every day, like the Cumean Sibyll (who prayed each day to die, by the way).
This description of M. Bienvenu in "Les Miz" is pure Gospel. Undoes completely the notion of "vision", and "legacy", and all the nonsense that surrounds teaching on ministry, not to mention self-understandings of ministry itself. No "future" thinking, at all. And by the way, I can see nothing "romantic" in the pejorative sense here at all.
You have done me a great service in surfacing this quote from Hugo's great work on Grace.
Thank you, Monsieur Brrouwderrr...

10:36 PM  
Blogger David Browder said...

Paul, I totally agree. I'm just starting this book and it has been absolutely mind-blowing. The prose is the most beutiful I have encountered and the thoughts behind it are pure Gospel.

4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home