Thursday, May 29, 2008

Rousseau

"Man is born free, and everywhere he is in chains. One man thinks himself the master of others, but remains more of a slave than they are."
- Jean Jacques Rousseau

Let me first say that Rousseau was not a nice man. Anytime I've ever heard anyone cite him, they always prefaced whatever they were going to say with the fact that he was not a nice man. I figure that, since I know so little, I had better follow the lead of my betters. He even looks like one of those slick-types one comes across in the political world. That said, I think this is an interesting citation. I believe it comes from his Social Contract.

I'm not quite sure what he means by the first phrase of the first sentence but the rest of the citation is pretty powerful. I say this, at least, from the context from which I view it. Certainly, he has a higher anthropology for the "noble savage" than "man enlightened by reason" but there is a real veracity in what he is saying. If we see the Fall of Man as a mortal attempt to place himself in the position of God and bend others to his will, we can work with Rousseau here.

Anyway, I would love to hear thoughts from others who know a little more about him. - DOB

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home