Monday, May 01, 2006

The Dostoevsky Moment, Part III

Here is the third story:

"Next morning I went out for a stroll through the town," continued the prince, so soon as Rogojin was a little quieter, though his laughter still burst out at intervals, "and soon observed a drunken-looking soldier staggering about the pavement. He came up to me and said, 'Buy my silver cross, sir! You shall have it for fourpence--it's real silver.' I looked, and there he held a cross, just taken off his own neck, evidently, a large tin one, made after the Byzantine pattern. I fished out fourpence, and put his cross on my own neck, and I could see by his face that he was as pleased as he could be at the thought that he had succeeded in cheating a foolish gentleman, and away he went to drink the value of his cross. At that time everything that I saw made a tremendous impression upon me. I had understood nothing about Russia before, and had only vague and fantastic memories of it. So I thought, 'I will wait awhile before I condemn this Judas. Only God knows what may be hidden in the hearts of drunkards.'

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So far, none of these characters seem to have any vision beyond the moment. The atheist cannot see what he cannot see with his eyes. The peasant sees only the glimmer of the material. The soldier sees only the next drink. To the prince, the cross is the great paradox it should be, the tawdry and humble thing, clearly not a noble metal, but nevertheless, it glorifies God. He literally becomes a fool for Christ. Do you think Dostoevsky read Forde? Yeah, I know. Die Dostoevsky read the Heidelberg Disputation, then?

I am fascinated by, “I will wait awhile before I condemn this Judas. Only God knows what may be hidden in the hearts . . . .” Judas is an enigma to most of us, even though we each have our pet theories. In my heart, I can see myself (miserable cur) as being prideful enough to value my way over that of the one who must have appeared to be an idealistic fool, a cheap tin imitation of a messiah.

As a news flash, the Tilapia have been in the water for a week, munching on the filamentous algae islets, and hopefully increasing and multiplying so as to feed the bass with their progeny. The bluegill and largemouth are fat and (except for today) have been very open to a meal of Rapala.

8:09 PM  
Blogger David Browder said...

I don't think Dostoevsky read the Heidelberg Disputation. At this time in history, the Lutheran Pietists were pretty much the only expression of Lutheranism. In the Brothers Karamazov, you can see Dostoevsky making fum of the Lutherans as a bunch of "do-gooders."

Hopefully, I will be getting to Birmingham soon to check out those bream in person.

7:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

David I am not going to get psychological with this even though I would love to. Mom

8:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice idea with this site its better than most of the rubbish I come across.
»

7:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home