Friday, April 07, 2006

Immanuel Kant and Martin Luther

Have you ever misjudged anyone due the context into which you were born and raised? I certainly have in the simplest situations when I should have known better. The following is going to be a really elementary attempt at broadening this common experience to discuss the philosophy of Immanuel Kant as it relates to Martin Luther. I hope to redeem some of his thought from Christian attack specifically in the realm of the bound will. Please feel free to throw rocks at my hypothesis as I wrestle with this subject. I will be in your debt.

Background
Kant was raised as a Lutheran Pietist which meant that his religious categories were in the realm of morals and ethics. This was in contrast to Lutheran Orthodoxy which (at least doctrinally) emphasized the objective work of Christ which is given to the believer as a gift. Due to this upbringing, Kant believed he was able to formulate a defense of the existence of God by the moral grid that was within him. If there were no God, he argued, there would be no moral grid within man that made him perform moral works, even when doing so risked life and limb.

Now, there are all sorts of problems with this. What about the moral grids of cannibals, etc? This certainly would not prove the existence of the Christian God. Kant failed to remove himself from the Western Enlightenment context he found himself in. He was a victim of his own grid, if you will. This is really not what I wish to discuss, though. That was a background, more or less.

Internal Grid
I would really like to discuss the merits of man's internal grid itself. Kant's critique of John Locke and Isaac Newton's empiricism (experienced observation that infers causality) was that it assumed a blank state in the mind of man. Experiences and observations served as stimuli that man could discern and use. The stimuli went into the mind completely objectively and untainted by the receiver's context, cultural or otherwise.

Kant responded by saying that there was no way man could objectively observe his surroundings. Physical laws and observations are not objective, physical realities; they are laws of the mind. The mind has categories already developed that take stimuli and process them according to the mind's internal grid. Man only knows reality to the extent that it conforms to the mind's internal grid.

The Bound Will and Original Sin
In Luther's Heidelberg Disputation of 1518, he wrote in theses 3 and 4:

  • Although the works of man may seem attractive and good, they are nevertheless likely to be mortal sins.
  • Although the works of God are always unattractive and appear evil, they are nevertheless really eternal merits.

The interesting part here for me lies in human perception and action taken in response to that perception. If the appearance of human works is good and attractive, we will necessarily initiate them, join in them, or cheer them on. For instance, defeating a political foe and rising to power appears attractive. Think Machiavelli.

The reality of it, though, is that it almost always enthrones the self over God in one's mind. In riots, genocides, gang rapes, evil political movements like Nazism and Stalinism, and other mass movements, people like you and me willingly join in. Why? We all want to be CEO of a Fortune 500 company. Why?

It is because we are the proud owners of original sin which warps our internal grid. It warps the way we receive and process external stimuli. Due to this, we are bound to this internal grid like slaves. We inevitably act in the way most logical to what our grid is telling us, unaware of anything different.

The Nazareth Principle
God works by the Nazareth Principle. He chooses the weak and unattractive to confound the strong and wise. Consider where God may have worked in your life. Was it after you vanquished a political foe? Unequivocally no. He worked in your life when you were vanquished. He worked when you were unable to continue. Consider the suffering servant in Isaiah 53:

Isaiah 53:1-5 Who has believed our message? And to whom has the arm of the LORD been revealed? For He grew up before Him like a tender shoot, And like a root out of parched ground; He has no stately form or majesty That we should look upon Him, Nor appearance that we should be attracted to Him. He was despised and forsaken of men, A man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief; And like one from whom men hide their face, He was despised, and we did not esteem Him. Surely our griefs He Himself bore, And our sorrows He carried; Yet we ourselves esteemed Him stricken, Smitten of God, and afflicted. But He was pierced through for our transgressions, He was crushed for our iniquities; The chastening for our well-being fell upon Him, And by His scourging we are healed.

Consider and be aware of this internal grid. Then swallow some Christian vitriol and thank Immanuel Kant for inadvertedly thinking through the givens of original sin and the bondage of the will.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

David, as it happens, this is a “sleepless in Vandiver” night. When I opened your blog, I had just finished preparing a talk on free vs. bound will. It is the sixth in a seven part series which is attempting to state the Heidelberg Disputation in such a fashion as to be acceptable to a modern lay audience, albeit an Advent audience, so already softened up. (When I first attempted to read On Being a Theologian of the Cross, I became so upset with it that I threw it in a corner, and it languished there for nearly a year before I could pick it up again.)

Your blog must be one of the “good works that God prepared ahead that you might walk in them,” for it approaches the old will/works problem in a fresh way, and I shall shamelessly steal the underpinnings of your grid presentation, though I will give the David Irish URL in the handout.

Bottom line - I thank God for making you his vessel. As for Walter, note all the “I’s” in the above. As old Martin promised, I persist in sinning, in worshiping moi in my good works most especially. I want God and everyone else to know what a good old boy I have been.

BTW, if you are coming home for Pasha, know that the pond reeks of bluegill busily preparing their beds, and the shallows look like the surface of the moon, and you are always welcome to do the good work of being a fisherman of fish out here.

4:36 AM  
Blogger David Browder said...

Walter, I love it when you post nice things about me.

I've been thinking a lot about Enlightenment rationalism mostly because that is my sin. I am a justified rationalist who is always making God a hypothesis. Who knows if I will ever be broken of that.

It looks like I won't make it home until after the semester is over. Boy, I would love to be in Vandiver right now catching those bream. You by far have the best pond I have ever fished in. Those bream will just about pull you in the lake.

12:29 PM  
Blogger David Browder said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:39 PM  
Blogger Joshua Corrigan said...

David, Thank you for your thought s and insight. I love the blog.

I dont know if you are aware of this but the things you discuss in this post are directly related to my thesis research. Accordingly, I would like to share something that I have come across in my studues.

You mention the "categories" or grid that Kant suggests we filter our sensations through in order to have experience. This interesting stuff but when we look closer at Kant I find that he has indeed abandoned his Protestant background.

Kant explicitly believed in free will. So much so that he felt that it was the cornorstone of the enlightenment. He also thought that any biblical conception of the moal law is void! This is because WE are to be the legislators-WE make the moral law through "rational" principles.

In his defense, Kant, although he didnt care much for historical revelation, could deal with the cannibal problem because he understood the nature of reason to be more fundamental to any wordview. If you look at the formulation of the Categorical Imperative, it is clear that cannibalism is 100 percent immoral.

Kant represented protestant principles only inasmuch as he had a high view of the impenetrable moral law (like Luther). His categories were not so much an acknowlegement of our inability as an example of human ability to create experiences.

He was shaped more by Lutheran Scholasticism than pietism (Knutzen).

My new hero is a man named Johann Hamann (Oswald Beyer has written about him). He WAS a true protestant, friend to Kant, and Kant's biggest enemy-on christian grounds. The verses from Hamann's tombstone attest to this:

"Unto the Jews a stumbling block, and unto the Greeks foolishness…because the foolishness of God is wiser than men and the weakness of God is stronger than men"

Ethical behavior, for Hamann, is characterized by a twofold response to a transcendent being (God is absolute transcendence), which is “made possible because of the divine initiative in overcoming the infinite gulf between God and man.”

To understand how Christianity really interacts with the Enlightenment we ought to look at Hamann-who Kierkegaard called "The Emperor!" upon first reading him.

All this said, I do think we can claim Kant at least partially, as a product of the Reformation. He allowed no casuistry regarding the law and his freedom of thought would not have been possible without the work of the reformers.

2:10 PM  
Blogger David Browder said...

Great post, Josh!

I really don't see Kant as a Protestant or a friend to Christianity, although he thought he was. I am more interested in his moral grid. He certainly was a free will man in that he trusted his internal grid. To me, that trust inadvertedly made him into a poster child for the bound will.

Everyone trusts their internal grid to the exclusion of God's external truth.

2:32 PM  
Blogger David Browder said...

By the way, I'll have to check out Hamann. I've never heard of him.

2:59 PM  
Blogger Joshua Corrigan said...

David, No one has heard of Hamann. Oddly, PZ in his office at Trinity around Christmas, turned me on to him.

I think you are right that Kant's categories, if taken to their proper end, would be the source of a bound will.

Kant could not accept the Christian conception of Paradox.

I can't reinforce enough my encouragement that you read Hamann, but he is exceptionally difficult (about 10 pages of notes referring to 1.5 pages of actual text!). So I encourage anyone to read any translation or commentary by James O'Flaherty ( who was at Wake Forest) He pulls out the Christian concepts while not abandoning Hamann's importance philosophically.

I could devote my academic life to studying this one man who believed, unlike the Enlightenment, that God chooses the lowly and ugly of the world to be raised up to glory.

Thanks again,
JMC

3:46 PM  
Blogger David Browder said...

That sounds like the man I need to read. Thanks for turning me on to him. What is your thesis going to be, if you don't mind me asking?

4:20 PM  
Blogger Joshua Corrigan said...

I am simply comparing Kant and Hamann's conceptions of rationality. IT turns out that this is the main root of their philosophical split.

It may be difficult to get much on Hamann in English- but the best is translated by O'Flaherty.

5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home