Thursday, March 16, 2006

Anne Boleyn

As I was drifting off to sleep one night, a song written by Anne Boleyn came on the classical music station I listen to. I could not believe how powerful it was so I leapt out of bed, went to my computer, and found the song on the internet. The following are reportedly the lyrics Anne Boleyn wrote in her cell awaiting execution by beheading:

O Death, O Death, rock me asleepe,
Bring me to quiet rest;
Let pass my weary guiltless ghost
Out of my careful breast.
Toll on, thou passing bell;
Ring out my doleful knell;
Thy sound my death abroad will tell,
For I must die,
There is no remedy.

My pains, my pains, who can express?
Alas, they are so strong!
My dolours will not suffer strength
My life for to prolong.
Toll on, thou passing bell;
Ring out my doleful knell;
Thy sound my death abroad will tell,
For I must die,
There is no remedy.

Alone, alone in prison strong
I wail my destiny:
Woe worth this cruel hap that I
Must taste this misery!
Toll on, thou passing bell;
Ring out my doleful knell;
Thy sound my death abroad will tell,
For I must die,
There is no remedy.

Farewell, farewell, my pleasures past!
Welcome, my present pain!
I feel my torment so increase
That life cannot remain.
Cease now, thou passing bell,
Ring out my doleful knoll,
For thou my death dost tell:
Lord, pity thou my soul!
Death doth draw nigh,
Sound dolefully:
For now I die,I die, I die.

Listen to part of the song here.

Now, I have tried to apply these lyrics to Shine, Jesus, Shine but failed. Now, why is that I wonder? It is because pop American evangelicalism has lost its ability to deal with death. It majors on moral improvement, how to manage your finances, raising kids who are winners, and all other kinds of interrelated hooey.

What is Christianity about then? Why does Anne Boleyn say, "Lord, pity thou my soul! Death doth draw nigh, Sound dolefully: For now I die,I die, I die?"

I think the psalmist David says it best in Psalm 22: 14-24 (ESV):

I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint; my heart is like wax; it is melted within my breast; my strength is dried up like a potsherd, and my tongue sticks to my jaws; you lay me in the dust of death. For dogs encompass me; a company of evildoers encircles me; they have pierced my hands and feet-- I can count all my bones--they stare and gloat over me; they divide my garments among them, and for my clothing they cast lots.

But you, O LORD, do not be far off! O you my help, come quickly to my aid! Deliver my soul from the sword, my precious life from the power of the dog! Save me from the mouth of the lion!You have rescued me from the horns of the wild oxen!

I will tell of your name to my brothers; in the midst of the congregation I will praise you: You who fear the LORD, praise him! All you offspring of Jacob, glorify him, and stand in awe of him, all you offspring of Israel! For he has not despised or abhorred the affliction of the afflicted, and he has not hidden his face from him, but has heard, when he cried to him.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mike Demmon said...

Good post for Lent.

But during Easter Season I'd rather hear Shine Jesus Shine

Ecclesiastes 3 my brother

Christianity must deal with death, and all those other daily-life things that God surely helps us with as well.

3:15 PM  
Blogger David Browder said...

If I never hear "Shine Jesus Shine" again, it will be too soon :-)

BTW, I think the preacher of Ecclesiastes is despairing over his inability to understand the proper time to do any of these things.

Great comments, my man. Keep them coming. Enjoyed meeting Libby. Real sweet girl.

11:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home