Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Ted Haggard Was Given No Quarter

The following are exerpts from a recent Foxnews.com article:

"The reason I kept my personal struggle a secret is because I feared that my friends would reject me, abandon me and kick me out, and the church would exile and excommunicate me. And that happened and more..."

Haggard moved his family to Arizona after the scandal and also lived in Texas. He re-emerged last month at a rural Illinois church, where he delivered guest sermons and said he was sexually abused as a second-grader.

He now sells insurance and, in the documentary, says he isn't successful.
"At this stage in my life, I am a loser," he says.

Read the whole article here.

Ever since this happened, I have not been able to get it out of my mind. I remember hearing his interview on Issues, Etc. (unfortunately, I cannot link the interview because the Missouri Synod inexplicably yanked the show suddenly... it is now, thankfully, back on the air) before it became known that he was sleeping with a male prostitute and buying meth. Haggard was saying he had not sinned in some time and the host of the show was challenging him with the Sermon on the Mount. I remember thinking, "Ha, ha. Here's another Christian who doesn't think he sins. He obviously doesn't understand the bondage of the will. Ha, ha, LOL..." and all other sorts of derogatory (and arrogant) remarks.

Well, then it happened. The male prostitute saw him on television and then publicly revealed the whole affair. The secular (and theological) Left and the gay lobby were ecstatic. They watched gleefully as the life of an enemy (how could they ever regard him as anything other than that?) was destroyed and sank below the waves like the Titanic. No quarter.

Then, the Christian Right totally threw him under the bus. And then (just so no mistake could be made about it), they backed the bus right up so it could run over him again. The church of our Lord Jesus Christ, friend of sinners, turned its back on Ted Haggard. No quarter.


Read this again: "The reason I kept my personal struggle a secret is because I feared that my friends would reject me, abandon me and kick me out, and the church would exile and excommunicate me. And that happened and more..." Thank God, however, for that rural Illinois church that took him in and his wonderful wife.

I'll spare you, the reader, my theological disputation on this. If you look back into the archives of this blog, you will find it. I simply want to address Rev. Haggard with these words from my tradition's Book of Common Prayer:

Hear what comfortable words our Saviour Christ saith unto all that truly turn to him.

Come unto me all that travail and are heavy laden, and I will refresh you. St. Matth. xi. 28.

So God loved the world, that he gave his only-begotten Son, to the end that all that believe in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. St. John iii. 16

Hear also what Saint Paul saith.
This is a true saying, and worthy of all men to be received, That Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners. 1 Tim. i. 15.

Hear also what Saint John saith.
If any man sin, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous; and he is the propitiation for our sins. 1 St. John ii. 1.

God bless you, Ted Haggard. Sleep well tonight because you have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous. - DOB

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for a great post. I think that poor Ted is doing much more for the kingdom as an insurance salesman that he ever did as a preacher.

12:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home