Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Important 50th Anniversary

Today, my Uncle George e-mailed me to let me know that today is the 50th anniversary of my maternal grandfather's announcement of his intentions to run for Governor of Alabama. His name was George Hawkins and the year was 1958. John Patterson won a race which included my grandfather and a young judge from Barbour County named George Wallace.

I have seen the inner workings of campaigns and the toll it takes on families. This is true especially for statewide campaigns. I am proud of my grandfather because he was a progressive in a state that was in crisis due to race issues and a practical oligarchy. He gave his all to the state he loved and was an instrument of change who helped transition Alabama into the New South.

One of the things I'll remember most about him may be what he did not do. 1958 was an important year because Wallace lost the election. It was then, for the sake of personal ambition, that he threw away his progressive stance and adopted the positions of a segregationalist populist. By doing this, he stirred up racial tensions and fanned the flames of an atmosphere that would propel him to power for years to come. My grandfather did not do this. He remained a friend to the black people of Alabama and the disenfranchised for his entire career. He was not perfect but he played the hand he was dealt with principle and compassion.

I am also proud of my grandmother, mother, Uncle George, Uncle David, Uncle John, and Aunt Carol for being able to endure the limelight, hardships, absences, rigors, and excitements of such an intense cauldron. In great leadership in pivotal times, there has always been great cost.

Today, my love and admiration goes out to the Hawkins side of my family. It also endures for my grandfather who was a great man. I will always remember the impact he had on me as a boy and a young adult. His nimble intellect and gentle nature are missed. I will be proud of him and love him until my dying day.

Below is the campaign theme song he used in the 1958 election:

Hank Snow's I'm Movin' On

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home