Monday, April 23, 2007

From One of My Papers

What are the dangers then of a produced identity over and against a received identity? The produced identity is man-made and it is ultimately given, not by the one it produces, but the world around him. If my identity is produced and not received, then I hang on every compliment my pastor might give me. I wait with baited breath for it. My identity is based competitively with those who are in my community. A community of men gives me my identity. One day, I may perform well. One day, I may perform poorly. It waxes and wanes like the moon. As a businessman, my identity increases and decreases every day based on what the market does and how well I have anticipated it. As a husband, my identity is based on my identity as a businessman. As a wife, my identity is based on how well I am winning the war with Father Time. As a child, my identity is based on which schools have accepted me. As a pastor, my identity is based on how much my church grows. And so it marches on. It is a futile cycle that never ends. This is the fruit of the third use of the law, the Puritan idea of church discipline, and the “Protestant Work Ethic.”

Christianity is very different in its pure form, however. It is blissfully different. It is based on passivity and reception. It is based on a gift. “Come to me all who are heavy-laden and I will refresh you.” (Matt. 11:28) This does not sound like a striving religion. This does not sound like a situation where a man’s works define who he is. It sounds like a man’s identity is established despite his situation. As always, Luther says it best:

"Beware of aspiring to a righteousness of such purity that you would not wish to be looked upon as a sinner, or, still worse, not to be one. For Christ dwells only in sinners. It was for this very reason he descended from heaven, where he had his dwelling with the righteous, to dwell among us poor sinners on earth. Meditate on love of such power, and you will then experience his consolation of love." - Martin Luther

1 Comments:

Blogger Joshua Corrigan said...

Fantastic stuff Herr Browder!

9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home